When life gets harder, we have to get tougher!

When life gets harder, we have to get tougher!
Weathering the Storm!!!

Friday, November 16, 2012

Recipe Wednesday on Friday :) Chicken and Dumplings from scratch


Ok, so it has been quite the week.  It usually doesn't matter to me whether it is Monday or Friday...but today I want to shout from the highest mountain, TGIF!!! Since my little guy has been sick all week and not sleeping, it has really taken the wind out of my sails.  I have also been really busy writing a Giving Thanks book for Luke's preschool class Thanksgiving Day party Monday.  Add in full-time nanny work for two kido's, a husband who has been out of town for nine days now and counting, and I am ready to RELAX!!! I of course remembered this morning that I accidentally skipped recipe Wednesday, and had several people waiting for the chicken and dumpling recipe I made earlier in the week. I will confess I pulled it from dash recipes website, but I tried it personally, and we loved it.  My dumplings were scratch, and they were cooked to perfection.  The picture to the right is a close up of my dumpling cut in half!  Yummy!  Make sure you have a crew to eat it as it makes quite a bit :) So, here it is... oh and I used unbleached all-purpose flour and let it simmer longer than 10 minutes once I added in the dumplings to make sure they were not doughy inside.


4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp black pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups frozen peas and carrots

Dumplings:
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp butter (softened)
1 cup milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. In heavy bottomed Dutch oven or large wide pot, over medium heat, add chicken broth, water, butter and all seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil.

2. Meanwhile, cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Add to soup mixture. Stir to combine and cover.

3. In a sealable container combine flour and milk. Seal tightly and shake vigorously to combine well. You will create a smooth flour mixture for thickening your sauce called a slurry. Slowly pour the slurry into broth, stirring constantly. Add frozen vegetables. Cover.

4. Combine dumpling ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well with a fork. Remove cover from stew and stir well. Drop dumplings into stew one tablespoon at a time, use a 1 tablespoon scoop to make it even easier. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
KITCHEN COUNTER:
Makes 8 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment